Friday, July 15, 2011

The Power of Benzoyl Peroxide

My forehead is a major problem area and I have been struggling with congested skin in this area.  I made another change to my skincare regime.  I have been using Kaiser Permanente Benzoyl Peroxide 5% cleanser (found at Kaiser Permanente Pharmacy $5) mixed with PCA Blemish Control Bar once a day.  Just a nickel size and I add the cleanser on top of the Blemish Control Bar (also contains sulfur, exfoliates skin, heals & dries blemishes.)  I have used benzoyl peroxide in the past with great results, but had stopped use, because of possible skin irritation and I was put on prescription acne medications that were very drying.  

Benzoyl Peroxide is the only product that can go into the follicle and kill acne bacteria, p.acnes.  It releases free radical oxygen that kills p.acnes bacteria (cannot live in the presence of oxygen).  Benzoyl Peroxide flushes out out acne impactions, sterilizes follicle, and decreases bacteria irritation.  Do not overuse, because it can be very drying and cause skin irritation. 

Because I mix a Benzoyl Peroxide cleanser with a Salicylic Acid Cleanser, this has a drying affect on my skin.  I apply up to 3 layers on my moisturizer, PCA Clearskin to reduce any dryness and keep my skin hydrated.  I do not spot treat with Benzoyl Peroxide, because it can bleach skin.  If you have brown skin, I do not recommend this, you could develop light spots because of the bleaching affect.  I spot treat blemishes with PCA Acne Gel (salicylic acid) and Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque.

My skin has dramatically changed within the past 4 days of using Benzoyl Peroxide.  My entire face is smoother and forehead congestion is loosening up.  I have been able to extract the stubborn impactions, leaving me with smoother and healthier skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment